Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ancient Rome!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Rome, Italy

Actually, the port of Rome is Civitavecchia, and I usually put the name of the port somewhere in my title.  But not today.  Rome is right in the middle of Italy, as you know, and there are no rivers that go up to it, so Civitavecchia is the port, and we all get on busses, or take trains into Rome.  It takes about 40 minutes.  In fact, the longest 40 minutes of my life to date was the day my contract ended, and I got in a van with Gabriel, Rebecca, and Jennifer, and rode with them to the airport to say goodbye.  My most bittersweet memory occurred that day.  I still see it when I close my eyes.  What am I saying...back to the blog.

I like to make videos, as you know, and when I do, I like to include music.  For my Ancient Rome video, I really wanted to use Mars, the bringer of war from Gustav Holst's The Planets.  So I uploaded one version, but youtube detected the third party content and blocked the video in some countries.  I have now tried again, with a different recording of Mars, and I've also cut it up in places to better fit my video.  This one managed to upload with only the message that it has matched the third party content, but it's not blocked.  So, hopefully it will work for you now.



Me and the Colussevm
 After many centuries, the church put a cross inside the Colosseum in remembrance of all the people who died there.  To this day, the Vatican's Easter celebrations start here.  They do the way of the cross around the place.

This area in the next picture is called the Forvm, and it's a whole area that is preserved right next to the Colosseum.  Many important things happened here.  For example, it is believed that the Apostle Paul was held under this church.


People lived here.
 One thing that you don't get from videos and pictures is a sense of how incredibly HOT it was on these tours.  Below, you can see how our guide would strategically walk us to shady spots and do all the talking from there.

2 for 1: The Arc of Constantine and the Colosseum in the same picture!

Above is one of those places that was built by a person who made himself up like a god.  This happened a lot in ancient Rome.  I really don't like it.  Usually it was the emperor, but sometimes it was just important rich people who would make statues of themselves and engrave god this or that on their building.  Not cool guys.  I doubt the people back then actually ever believed it.
Another shot of the Forum.
After the Ancient Rome portion of our tour, we went to the Vatican.  I didn't go inside.  It wasn't my time for that.  Maybe I'm waiting for something or someone in the future.


Because anyone can google a picture of something without yourself in it.
Everyone is in love with the new Pope, and his lifestyle and dedication to the poor.  I have to say, it's actually really refreshing for me to see a guy like this at the head of the Catholic church.
Jonathan Pryce is EVERYWHERE!
We had about an hour and a half of time on our own, so I decided to just walk around aimlessly, as I usually do.  I found this thing.
This thing looked important.
 And I found a chicken hut!

Rome is famous for it's fountains.  One of Ottorino Respighi's greatest works is The Fountain's of Rome.  So, I thought I would keep my eyes open for them.  Sadly, this is the only one that I found.  When I later consulted a man, I realized that I walked very close to the Trevi Fountain.  You saw that one in Roman Holiday.  They say that if you throw a coin into that fountain, you will return to Rome.  I didn't, and I still made it back.  I didn't visit Trevi again the second time I was in Rome.  That probably means I'm going back again one day. 
The Fountains of Rome?
My friends Gabriel, Jennifer, and Rebecca, had their own grand adventure this day.  It was fun to hear about how we just barely missed each other in all the places we went.  It was also funny to hear about how they almost missed their back on board time by five minutes because of the train!  That's a scary feeling that I don't wish for anyone to ever have to go through.  Well, almost anyone.

Anyway, here's Jennifer's account of their day!  Jennifer vs. the World.  As usual, she has her own awesome video.

Extra:  Just found my tour excursion notes!  I'm going to type them in here, just in case it adds anything to my own account:

Description:
Take a stroll through ancient Rome durin this full-day shopping and sightseeing excursion to the 'Eternal City', and guided visits to the Roman Colosseum and Roman Forum.

Roman Colosseum
Depart the pier for the scenic, approximately 1.5-hour drive to St. Peter's Square.  Upon arrival, drive to the Colosseum drop-off point.  After donning your headset, begin your guided and narrated isit to the Roman Colosseum.  (Hey, wait a minute!  We didn't get headsets!  Scandal!)

A longstanding symbol of the greatness of Rome, the Colosseum is among the world's most celebrated monuments.  Centuries ago, ancient Romans flocked here to witness gladiatorial contests and other spectacles.  Completed around 80 AD., the Colosseum featured 76 numbered entrances, marble seating for 80,000 spectators, and subterranean passages where animals and equipment were kept.  The arena floor was frequently flooded to host naval combats (No freaking way!  Someone put THIS in a movie.)  Some free time is made available during your visit for photo opportunities.

Roman Forum and Arch of Constantine
Next, proceed on-foot to the Roman Forum, known as the heart of ancient Rome.  Here, the creation of the roman civilization is reflected in the vast ensemble of ruins.  Walk through Sacred Way, or 'Via Sacra', the route followed by religious and triumphal processions.  After the visit, walk to the coach pick up point and re-board your coach for the drive to St. Peter's Square.

Rome at Your Leisure
The remainder of your time in Rome is made available for independent shopping and exploration, and lunch at your own expense.  At the appointed time, meet your guide back at St. Peter's Square, walk to the coach pick-up point and commence the approximately 1.5-hour drive back to the pier.  To ensure a prompt departure, please return to the meeting point on time.

Next time:  Mt. Vesuvius!  Omg!



No comments:

Post a Comment