Sunday, August 19, 2012

Let's start at the very beginning...

First a confession: today's actual date is August 19.  For the first two months of my journey, I kept no log, but instead focused all my energy on my work.  As fun as my job is, it is a 24 hour a day job, and I am finally at a place where I feel secure enough to look back and begin telling my story.  Well, there's also this little thing:  The satellite internet normally charges me by the minute, but right now I am in St. Petersburg, Russia, where I have acquired a Russian USB modem, so my internet is finally free.  I will now attempt over the next three days before we sail out, to tell my story from the very beginning, and get caught up to the present time.  Hey, decisions in life are often this complex.  Don't judge!

So, first thing's first:
How it all started.
Sometime in early May 2012
One day Marcy calls me out of the blue and says, "Hey, would you like to sing on a cruise ship with me?"  To which I reply, "Of course!" to which she responds, "Okay, good because I already submitted a video of the two of us and I was hoping you'd be fine with that."

One week later, I am driving in LA, and I check my email on my phone (again, don't judge!) and find out that we have indeed been offered a six month contract to be Artists on board the Silver Whisper with the Silversea Cruise Line.  Marcy had just left the day before to take a vacation/voice lesson trip to Memphis and Nashville, and so I call her up right away to say, "Hey, pack your bags and come back home!  We're leaving in three weeks."

So, in three weeks we packed and prepared.  This meant rushing passports, doctor's appointments, meeting vaccination requirements, applying for seaman's books, and shopping...lots and lots of shopping.  I had to buy lots of nice clothes because sadly, my preferred jeans and t-shirt look didn't make the dress code of the six star vessel we would be joining.  Luckily for me, one of Marcy's favorite things to do is to shop for men.  In the end, it all worked out.

Did you notice the one thing that was missing from my list of preparation?  LEARNING THE MUSIC.  My production company prefers not to send out the music in advance!  Which leads me right into my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment