Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Hermitage

Monday, June 25, 2012

Here's the deal, the Hermitage is so massive that it would take years to see everything inside of it.  Even so, I still took a massive amount of pictures.  Obviously, I won't post them all.  So, what I will do is try to pick out my favorites.

For those who don't know.  The Hermitage is one of the largest museums in the world.  It was started by Catherine the Great.  Enough talk, pictures:

 As soon as you enter, you run into this amazing marble staircase.  This staircase splits to the left and to the right and wraps around for one more story from which you can continue in several directions.


 This is a picture of the ceiling and the floor in the same spot.
The design in the ceiling is copied exactly in the wood of the floor below.


This was a fountain.

Unfortunately, they no longer run the water through it.

Pity.  How could would a fountain like this be in your house.

I mean, it's like a staircase, but not for people going up, only water going down.

I want one.
This is a clock.

For Real.

A clock.

I want one of these as well.
 Clash of the Titans anyone?
For me, this piece is the highlight of the Hermitage.  Rembradt's The Prodigal Son.

It's probably my favorite piece of art in the world.











Yeah.
 The only work by Michealangelo in the whole collection.

They say that Michaelangelo studied all the muscles in the human body, and that's why his works are so lifelike.
Right: The apostles Peter and Paul, painted by El Greco.

Peter is on the left holding the keys to the kingdom, and Paul...is the other guy.

Peter and Paul are the two most important religious historical figures in St. Petersburg.  There are several places called the Peter and Paul this and that.
Rembrandt
Rembrandt


Above: Abraham's Sacrifice

Right: Descent from the Cross

Van Gogh is all about texture, so I pressed my camera all the way up against the glass to take this shot.  I was subsequently yelled at by an old Russian woman.

Matisse


Danse, 1910
This was one of those moments where I felt obligated to take the picture simply because I knew it was famous.

Degas


The Dancer

I know, my neck hurts too.









Thousands upon thousands of people visit the Hermitage every day.


I'm Duke, and I approve of this building.

1 comment:

  1. I've so enjoyed reading all your posts in your blog...grandma too...more pictures please .... TE QUIERO MUCHO!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete